A.R.E. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Joining and Membership Questions:
Product, Service and Activities Questions:
Questions about Edgar Cayce:
Q: Where can I find my ID number?
A: Your ID number is the seven-digit number located above your name on the mailing label affixed to most mailings that come from A.R.E. If you are an online eMember, you should have received an e-mail from us with your permanent ID number.
Q: I just joined A.R.E. but haven't yet received any of my membership materials. Why?
A: Because of the volume of requests and the time it takes to mail materials to your home, it might take up to 3-4 weeks to begin receiving your membership materials. Please call our toll-free Customer Service department at 1-800-333-4499 if you have not received anything within that time frame.
Q: Where can I find Frequently Asked Questions about Headquarters Conferences?
A: Download the PDF
Activities at Headquarters-Virginia Beach
Activities in the U.S.
Activities in Canada
Activities Around the Globe (Internationally)
Camps and Retreats
Conferences Around the U.S.
Conferences at Headquarters-Virginia Beach
Q: How can I order books, tapes and videos?
A: You can order through our online A.R.E. Catalog or call toll-free, 1-800-333-4499.
Q: How can I find a local study group/spiritual growth discussion group?
A: For the U.S.A. you can find local group activities by clicking Near You on our footer. A.R.E.'s Regional Offices also maintains a listing of local groups.
For International Groups, you can find group meeting information by clicking on International Contacts/Information and contacting the country contact directly.
Q: I'm thinking of joining A.R.E. What are the benefits and services?
A: Benefits of joining A.R.E. include a quarterly magazine and newsletter and complete access to the Edgar Cayce readings on-line. For a more detailed listing of benefits, please click Membership link on the top navigation. In addition to these benefits and services, your membership also helps underwrite the ongoing work of A.R.E., helping people change their lives for the better through the ideas in the Edgar Cayce readings. A.R.E. underwrites a variety of programs and services, including the following:
- Study Groups and Spiritual Growth Programs — The A.R.E. helps individuals all over the world become engaged in spiritual growth activities, including programs of personal development and group study. Participants frequently report life-changing results of their study and application.
- Prison Program — The A.R.E. serves tens of thousands of inmates by providing books based on the Cayce readings to prisoners in all 50 states and five different countries.
- Prayer Service — Thousands of members and others around the world participate in a coordinated prayer program for those who have requested prayer for physical or spiritual healing. The results reported by participants are amazing.
- Local, Regional, and International Outreach — We assist local volunteers in providing services to inquirers and others in their local area who want to connect with each other. A.R.E. is starting to make basic individual and study group materials available in several languages.
- Youth Activities — Material from the Cayce readings on raising and educating children is shared with interested parents and educators. Research on the effectiveness of these principals is continuing and expanding.
- A.R.E. Camp — The mountains of western Virginia provide a close-to-nature setting for young people and families to learn and apply concepts from the readings. Contributions help support camp sessions and provide scholarships for those who cannot afford the tuition.
- Membership Scholarships — Contributions allow us to respond to the needs of seekers who cannot afford membership, to ensure that no one is turned away. Senior citizens and others on restricted incomes who could not otherwise participate are provided free memberships.
- A.R.E. Library — The Cayce readings, more than 60,000 books, periodicals, and other materials are housed in the A.R.E. Library, for student, member, personal, and professional research. We're also creating a virtual library online.
- A.R.E. Health Center and Spa — Make your appointment for exceptional therapies to enhance your health — body, mind, and spirit. Whether you're in Virginia Beach for a day, a week, or an extended period, you owe yourself a professional Cayce/Reilly® massage; it's like none other in the world!
- Cayce/Reilly® School of Massage — The A.R.E. campus in Virginia Beach also houses this unique school offering professional training in holistic massage therapy, advanced post-graduate bodywork courses, and hands-on weekend workshops at the professional and introductory levels.
- Atlantic University — Offers postgraduate work in transpersonal studies and leadership as well as certificate programs. Atlantic University brings together a uniquely talented group of educators who study, teach, and write about the philosophy of the Cayce readings and related subjects. Many of those who have taken A.U. courses go on to become writers, teachers, and leaders themselves. We also offer an Integrated Imagery: Regression Hypnosis Graduate Certificate, Spiritual Guidance Mentor Training, and Lifelong Learning with classes for everyone.
- Edgar Cayce Foundation — As custodian of the Cayce readings and official archivist for the work, the foundation continues its support of researchers and authors, such as the assistance it provided Sidney Kirkpatrick, author of the Edgar Cayce biography, Edgar Cayce: An American Prophet.
Q: What are the Membership options?
A: All members have access to our exclusive online section with our magazine, newsletter, and bonus media such as conference videos and files from the archives. Traditional members receive the magazine and newsletter by mail while online, eMembers receive all of their benefits online. If you provide your eMail address, we'll let you know when new materials are posted to the website. For a more detailed listing of benefits, please click Membership link on the top navigation.
Q: As an eMember, will I receive any mail from A.R.E.?
A:eMembership is our earth-friendly option. Members receive all of their benefits including the Magazine and Newsletter online. From time to time, we may mail important information and special offers to eMembers.
Q: I am an A.R.E. eMember, but I have decided I'd like to receive my Venture Inward magazine in the mail. Can I change that?
A: Yes, you can. You will need to convert your eMembership into a "traditional" membership, which is a price difference of $8. Please call a Membership Specialist directly at 800-333-4499, extension 0.
Q: Can I change from a regular "traditional" membership to an A.R.E. eMembership?
A: Yes, you can. You can sign up for eMembership by phone, through the mail, or online. As soon as we receive your eMembership order, we will switch your current membership over to online-only and renew you for 12 months of eMembership. This means your membership will have an immediate and positive effect on the environment as you will no longer receive mail from us.
Q: How can I find some of the items/health care products mentioned in the readings?
A: The official supplier of health-related items mentioned in the Cayce readings is Baar Products. You can find information about then by clicking Cayce Care Products on our home page, or by calling their toll-free number at 1-800-269-2502.
A: Visit our Sign-up Page and you can choose to receive special offers and discounts from a variety of A.R.E. services and departments, including our catalog.
A: If you would like to unsubscribe or change your enews preferences, please click the "Manage my subscriptions" link at the bottom of any enews that you receive from us. From there you can choose which enewsletters you would like to receive or unsubscribe from all. If you are receiving an error or continue to receive enews after you have changed your preferences, please email us and be sure to include the email address that is receiving the enews.
Q: What do I do if I want treatment along the lines suggested by the Cayce readings?
A: The A.R.E. Health Center & Spa offers medical consultations and assessments to A.R.E. members and non-members. Schedule these appointments online or by calling 757-457-7202. We also offer a Personal Health Portfolio and a Cayce-based Holistic Health Assessment.
Q: Can I get a psychic reading from A.R.E.? / Where can I find a professional intuitive?
A: Although A.R.E. does not offer psychic readings nor do we endorse specific psychics, what we do have available is a listing of professional intuitives who have been on our programs and give readings in person or over the phone to interested individuals. You can obtain the listing of these psychics by calling our Customer Service department at 800-333-4499 and asking for the Professional Intuitives' List.
In addition to this listing, A.R.E. offers regular programs on personal psychic development through both conferences (offered at the Virginia Beach Headquarters as well as throughout the U.S.A. and Canada ) and we offer a variety of related products in our online catalog at ARECatalog.com. Remember, Edgar Cayce encouraged us to be our own psychic!
Q: How can I request prayer from A.R.E.? / How can I get on A.R.E.'s International Prayer List?
A: To find out more information about A.R.E.'s Prayer Services, visit the section on Spirituality or go directly to the Personal Requests for Prayer. Our International Prayer List is compiled monthly and is sent out to thousands of individuals in more than forty countries.
Q: How can I obtain a Circulating File of the readings? / How can I find information from the Edgar Cayce readings on a specific topic?
A: Circulating Files are verbatim excerpts from the Edgar Cayce readings available on more than 400 topics. These files are available for purchase for all individuals. You can request a listing of available Circulating Files and/or order a file by calling our Customer Service department at 1-800-333-4499.
This listing is also available to A.R.E. members through our online member-only section.
Q: How can I stop having unwanted psychic experiences?
A: According to Edgar Cayce, there are genuine levels of awareness beyond the perception of most individuals. These levels of awareness are closely associated with the realm of dreams, thoughts, and ideas--states that we may normally associate with the subconscious. Oftentimes individuals can become prone to perceiving these extended states through one form of trauma or another: abuse, alcoholism, severe stress, physical injury to the nervous system or spine, drug addiction, self-starvation, automatic writing, or exploring levels of the mind without the proper background, safety precautions or intent.
When Edgar Cayce counseled individuals about how to deal with unwanted psychic experiences–experiences that may include such things as feeling the presence of a ghost, sensing that someone is invading your thoughts psychically, hearing voices, picking up on unwanted psychic information, etc.–his suggestions included a variety of approaches designed to bolster the body's natural defenses, physically, mentally and spiritually:
- Consider seeing an Osteopath or Chiropractor to make certain there has not been a spine issue that is causing pressure on the nervous system. Oftentimes, individuals unknowingly open themselves up to other realms of "reality" because of a spinal injury or problem.
- Eat a healthy well-balanced diet. Do not skip meals or eat poorly. One of the easiest ways to continue having problems at the mental-emotional level is to abuse the physical systems of the body.
- Give the mind plenty of uplifting (oftentimes spiritually-focused) material to read. Literature might include self-help books, uplifting poetry, the Torah, the New Testament, etc. Cayce often stated, "the mind is the builder"–what we focus upon becomes a part of us.
- Work with prayer, imagine surrounding yourself with a "white light of protection" whenever you feel troubled by an experience. You can also ask friends, family, a minister, or a Rabbi to pray with and for you.
- Refuse to become fascinated by the experiences. Quite frequently individuals must get over their intrigue of the experience–in spite of their aversion to it–before healing can take place.
- Find a sympathetic counselor or therapist with whom you can talk. This therapist should probably be familiar with Jungian psychology, the paranormal, or at least be open to the unknown.
For your information, you may also wish to read further on the subject in such works as The Psychic Sense, an Edgar Cayce Series book.
Q: Does the A.R.E. offer dream interpretation?
A: We have a Dream Group on the social networking site Facebook. If you are not a member of Facebook, you may need to register to participate. Registration is free. You can share your dreams and share your insights on the dreams posted by others. Our volunteer staff here at A.R.E. will also be posting their insights based on the book by Kevin J. Todeschi, Dream Images & Symbols. Please note that our dream interpretations should not be considered a replacement for any type of counseling, legal advice, or medical diagnosis.
To join our online dream group, visit Facebook. In addition, we have several resources on our Web site to help you interpret your own dreams at this link: Dreams & Dream Interpretation. We also have a Dream Dictionary app.
Edgar Cayce said that we are our own best dream interpreter!
Q: Did Edgar Cayce predict the events of 9-11? / Did Edgar Cayce predict the terrorists' attacks?
A: The Edgar Cayce readings do not contain a listing of inevitable future events. However, a number of readings including readings given during World War II on the status of "World Affairs" provide some hopeful insights into humanity's collective destiny and how we might work together to bring about that destiny.
Cayce predicted that the time would come when all individuals would realize their responsibility toward one another–a realization that would change the thought of humankind. During the height of World War II, he saw the possibility of a united World, an alliance with Russia, freedom out of Communism, democracy out of China, and a renewed sense of spirituality all over the planet. When asked in 1944 which religious thought would lead the World toward the greatest amount of spiritual light and understanding, the reply was simply that, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and thy neighbor as thyself!" (3976-8)
What follows are verbatim extracts from the Cayce readings that are especially relevant about living in Times of Crisis:
Reading #3976-28; June 20, 1943
Gertrude Cayce: You will have before you the conditions in the world today, and that needed by those seeking advice in helping to construct a permanent basis for international peace founded upon understanding of one another's economic, social and spiritual problems. You will answer the questions, as I ask them:
Edgar Cayce: Yes, we have - as we have had before - those problems which have brought about the upheavals and the wars, the distrust, the jealousy, the hate existing today. These are the result of man's forgetting God, and that which truly represents man's sincere attempt to worship, honor and glorify a living God.
For this may only be done in the manner in which individuals, states, nations, treat their fellow man. For, as ye do unto others, ye do to thy Maker. And when those activities are such as to dishonor thy fellow man, ye dishonor thy God - and it brings all of those forms of disturbance that exist in the world today.
As for the individuals here - peace must begin within self before there may be the activity or the application of self in such a manner as to bring peace in thine own household, in thine own heart, in thine own vicinity, in thine own state or nation. And only one agreement: Worship God in a manner that is in keeping with the dictates of thy conscience.
When there has been in the earth those groups that have sufficiently desired and sought peace, peace will begin. It must be within self.
Reading #3976-8; January 15, 1932
With the present conditions, then, that exist - these have all come to that place in the development of the human family where there must be a reckoning, a one point upon which all may agree, that out of all of this turmoil that has arisen from the social life, racial differences, the outlook upon the relationship of man to the Creative Forces or his God, and his relationships one with another, must come to some COMMON basis upon which all MAY agree. You say at once, such a thing is impractical, impossible! What has caused the present conditions, not alone at home but abroad? It is that realization that was asked some thousands of years ago, "Where IS thy brother? His blood CRIES to me from the ground!"; and the other portion of the world has answered, IS answering, "Am I my brother's keeper?" The world, AS a world - that makes for the disruption, for the discontent - has lost its ideal. Man may not have the same IDEA. Man - ALL men - may have the same IDEAL!
As the Spirit of God once moved to bring peace and harmony out of chaos, so must the Spirit move over the earth and magnify itself in the hearts, minds and souls of men to bring peace, harmony and understanding, that they may dwell together in a way that will bring that peace, that harmony, that can only come with all having the one Ideal; not the one idea, but "Thou shalt love the Lord Thy God with all thine heart, thy neighbor AS thyself!" This [is] the whole law, this [is] the whole answer to the world, to each and every soul. That is the answer to the world conditions as they exist today.
How shall this be brought about? As [they] each in their own respective sphere put into action that they know to be the fulfilling of that as has been from the beginning, so does the little leaven leaven the whole lump.
Man's answer to everything has been POWER - Power of money, Power of position, Power of wealth, Power of this, that or the other. This has NEVER been GOD'S way, will never be God's way. Rather little by little, line upon line, here a little, there a little, each thinking rather of the other fellow, as that that has kept the world in the various ways of being intact - where there were ten, even, many a city, many a nation, has been kept from destruction. Though ye may look upon, or feel that that which was given to Abram - as he viewed the cities of the plain and pled for the saving of same - was an allegorical story, a beautiful tale to be told children - that it might bring fear into the hearts of those that would have their OWN way - may it not come into the hearts of those now, today, wilt THOU, thine self, make of thine OWN heart an understanding that thou must answer for thine own brother, for thine own neighbor! and who is thine neighbor? He that lives next door, or he that lives on the other side of the world? He, rather, that is in NEED of understanding! He who has faltered; he who has fallen even by the way. HE is thine neighbor, and thou must answer for him!
Reading #3976-23; June 13, 1939
Then, there needs be that not so much be set as to this ritual, or this form, or the other, for any given peoples or any nation, but rather that the individuals in each nation, EVERYWHERE, are to turn again TO the God of the fathers and not in self-indulgence, self-aggrandizement, but more and more of self-effacement.
For as the people of each nation pray, AND then live that prayer, so must the Spirit work.
Then - each of you here - GIVE GOD A CHANCE to show what great blessings He will give to those who love Him. This does not mean that ye, or ANYONE, would condone persecutions anywhere or in any form. For, know ye, His laws fail not, - "As ye sow, so shall ye reap."
Man can only begin, then, within himself. And as he applies that he knows, that he understands of God, in his daily life, so may there be given him the next step to make.
Reading #3976-27; June 19, 1942
Ye cannot pray "Peace - Peace" when there is no peace in thine own heart and soul! but by knowing (for His spirit answers with thy spirit) that each day, each person ye meet is GLAD that you are alive! GLAD that YOU have come in touch with them; for you have brought - and bring - hope to their lives, just in the passing!
This means, then, that you may so live the life as He emulated in the earth, that ye radiate life, joy, peace! that which casteth out fear - by living, by being, by doing unto others, for others, that ye would like others to do unto you.
O, ye say, this is not new! Neither is thy present disturbance, nor thy present hope, nor ANYTHING! For, even as he said, "There is nothing new under the sun." What is has been, and will be again. Only as ye USE that birthright, that purpose, that WILL within thine own consciousness to do justice, to do right, to LOVE good, to eschew evil, may ye as individuals, as a group, as a nation, stand between the living and the dead - and STAY the sin that maketh man make war - of any nature - against his brother.
Thou ART thy brother's keeper! Act that in thine own heart. Who IS thy brother? "Who is my mother? They that do the will of the Father, the same is my mother, my sister, my brother." And more wars, more bloodshed have been shed over the racial and religious differences than over any other problem! These, too, must go the way of all others; and man must learn - if he will know the peace as promised by Him - that God loveth those who love Him, whether they be called of this or that sect or schism or ism or cult! The Lord is ONE!
Q: A recent tabloid article mentioned a listing of Edgar Cayce's "secret/future predictions." Is the article true?
A: From time to time various tabloid magazines publish articles about the life and work of Edgar Cayce that are complete fabrications. Generally those tabloids print a picture of Mr. Cayce on their cover with a headline detailing "Secret" or "Future"; predictions of some kind. All of these articles are simply a hoax designed to get well-meaning individuals to buy a copy of the tabloids.
Edgar Cayce never gave a countdown of specific events to transpire in the future since from his perspective such a listing would have been an impossibility. The reason is because the future is completely subject to the free will events of the present and humankind's individual and collective wills.
Although Cayce never gave a specific listing of events, he did provide some general insights into our collective future–;insights that are much more positive than those fabricated by the tabloid news. For example, Edgar Cayce predicted that humanity's worldview would change, that individuals would become much more aware of their responsibility toward one another and that we would eventually realize with God as our Creator, we are all brothers and sisters regardless of our religious background. He also saw an end to communism, a renewed sense of spirituality out of China, and an alliance between the United States and Russia that would help to transform the world.
In terms of general information, decades ago, Cayce was emphasizing the importance of diet, attitudes and emotions, exercise, and the patient's role in the treatment of illness–approaches that are now recognized by the medical community. It was due to the influence of the Cayce information that the American Holistic Medical Association was formed in the 1970s. In the field of psychology and dreams, Cayce's information has been compared to Carl Jung. In the realm of education, he is on a similar standing with Rudolf Steiner. In history, the Cayce readings gave insights into Judaism that were verified a decade after his death. Repeatedly, science and history have validated theoretical concepts and ideas explored in Cayce's psychic readings. The wealth and accuracy of his insights have resulted in more than 300 books, various television and media programs, and Edgar Cayce Centers around the world.
Although A.R.E. has repeatedly asked these tabloid magazines NOT to create fabricated articles about Edgar Cayce and have instead invited them to do a realistic article about this man's life and work, the articles persist. At this point, all we can suggest is to not be persuaded by tabloid headlines and to refuse to buy magazines that publish complete fabrications.
A.R.E. Members have complete access to the entire Edgar Cayce readings 24-million-word online database. Learn more about the benefits of A.R.E. Membership.
Q: Has Edgar Cayce reincarnated/returned? Did Edgar Cayce predict his return (in 1998)?
A: This question has come up very frequently–with individuals claiming to either be Edgar Cayce himself or stating that they are in communication with Edgar Cayce. At the present time, A.R.E. does not believe that Edgar Cayce has returned.
Part of the reason that individuals may be asking the question in the first place is because of a reading that suggested Edgar Cayce could return in 1998. Let us look at a couple of possibilities regarding what this might mean:
- Cayce would literally return in the flesh in 1998. If literal, does this mean that he was born around 1998, or does this mean that he would make his presence known in 1998? The important thing to remember is that even if Edgar Cayce did return, he is not necessarily going to pick up his life as "Edgar Cayce." He would have a new life with new opportunities and new lessons. We can find an example of this in the Bible dealing with the reincarnation of Elijah as John the Baptist. Jesus stated that John was, in fact, the reincarnation of Elijah. Edgar Cayce also confirmed the same thing in his readings. However, when John was asked straightforward, "Are you Elijah?" He replied, "No, I am John." In other words, the personality does not reincarnate, only the soul entity (or the true individuality) returns.
- Many people believe that Edgar Cayce's material would begin to return to the spotlight around 1998–making more and more individuals aware of the wealth of helpful insights he left behind. Interestingly enough, in December 1997 the A&E's Biography did a program on Edgar Cayce's life. At around the same time, a 26-week series on Edgar Cayce's life and work called The New Millennium starting airing on the Wisdom Cable Channel. Sidney Kirkpatrick's biography, Edgar Cayce: An American Prophet was released and A.R.E. launched a major website, attracting tens of thousands of "hits" per month. All of these things have certainly helped to heighten an awareness of the Cayce information.
Another important consideration is that oftentimes, in the process of a "soul awakening,"; individuals have memories and feelings from the past that somehow come to the surface in the present. Part of our challenge in this process is sorting through all of the images, memories, and feelings, attempting to separate reality from metaphor.
In other words, sometimes individuals have such strong feelings and images about a particular person and/or place that they begin to associate personally with those memories. Generally, memories of this nature are not literal. Most often, these feelings and images should be associated with what the person/place really means to us in the present. In other words, what is it about the individual or the time period in history that touches us very deeply at a soul level?
Sometimes, individuals were actually associated with a famous person in a past life and came to revere that person. The result is that in this incarnation the individual has a strong sense of familiarity with that "famous" soul. In fact, frequently this familiarity becomes so strong that the individual in the present begins to think they were actually that person from the past.
With this in mind, it is very likely that individuals who think that they are the return of Edgar Cayce actually had a close association with him (and his work) in one of his past incarnations. According to his own readings, his soul had been very active in doing a similar work in at least three additional time periods: Atlantis, Ancient Egypt, and Palestine.
All of this said, frequently individuals have still been so convinced that they are either the reincarnation of Edgar Cayce or in communication with him, that we have often asked them to respond to several questions that only Edgar Cayce would know the answer to. At this point in time, no one has ever answered any of the questions correctly.
Q: Is David Wilcock the reincarnation of Edgar Cayce?
A: David Wilcock was interviewed by the Cayce family some years ago, and they did not believe he was an incarnation of Edgar Cayce.
Many others have also claimed to be an incarnation and/or a channel for Cayce, prompting our CEO to write this blog article: Will the Real Edgar Cayce Please Stand Up?
A: If you enter your Member ID number and are not able to access the member section, you should see an error message with the reason and how to resolve it. If you do not see an error message, it may be a browser conflict. You may want to upgrade the version of browser. We have had a number of conflicts reported by AOL users, you may want to try and alternate browser or update AOL.