Bookstore Sales/Inventory Associate I
Posting Date: 7/23/14
Closing Date: 8/06/14
Job Title: Bookstore Sales and Receiving Associate I
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Status & Hours: Regular Full-Time, 30 hours/week
Department: Bookstore (#610)
Position Reports To: Bookstore Floor Supervisor
Under general supervision, perform a variety of shipping/receiving, pricing, coordinates stocking and
other retail sales activities for the A.R.E. Bookstore; maintains the accuracy of inventory in assigned categories; process and distribute documentation with purchase orders; operate a computer and/or cash register; perform customer services such as selling, refunds, charges, and other customer assistance. Evening and weekend availability required.
Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Responsible for picking up shipments off-site
- Receives and inspects merchandise
- Logs in and reconciles invoices with purchase orders; returns canceled and damaged items to vendors; contacts vendors to
determine status of delinquent orders as appropriate.
- Responsible for sorting, pricing according to Bookstore’s pricing policy, and shelving merchandise
- Submits invoices to Bookstore Manager for final approval
- Provide friendly and knowledgeable customer service in a retail setting to visitors, guests, conferees, members, students,
faculty and staff, which includes greeting and acknowledging every guest, maintaining outstanding standards, solid product
knowledge and all other components of customer service
- Ensure that each customer receives outstanding customer service by providing a friendly environment including use of cash
register point of sale system, and issuing returns or refunds of merchandise as necessary
- Knowledgeable of all cash register operations - inclusive of proper procedures related to opening and closing the store
- May assist with fulfillment of mail orders/special orders by phone and in person; maintain shipping information knowledge
- Maintain an awareness of all product knowledge information, sales, promotions, upcoming conferences, and events
- Protect the assets of A.R.E. through the secure handling of keys and money
- Assist in floor moves, merchandising, display maintenance and store housekeeping
- Cross train to be able to provide back-up assistance for Inventory/Operations Specialist by creating the monthly staff schedule
using hours/limits established by manager, to include adequate coverage during conferences and special events
- Other related duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- High school graduation or G.E.D. equivalency required.
- Two years of previous retail, cashier or customer service experience required or any equivalent combination of experience and
- Two years experience in retail and/or shipping/receiving environment, preferably recent retail receiving, bookstore setting
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge through experience in retail sales procedures.
- Knowledge through experience in shipping and receiving procedures, inventory procedures, methods of invoicing, including
discounts and taxes.
- Ability to process information/merchandise through computer system and POS register system
- Excellent problem solving, written and verbal communication skills to exchange information with a variety of individuals
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and respect for, a diverse population
- Must have strong skills in tact, diplomacy and willingness to be helpful
- Perform complex technical and clerical duties related to purchasing supplies and materials
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation
- Working knowledge of personal computers and familiarity with Point-of-Sale systems required.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic computations and the ability to acquire skill in making arithmetic computations rapidly and
- Ability to learn assigned clerical tasks readily and to adhere to prescribed routines.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Prefer knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active
patience and a service orientation
- Must have the ability to stand for long periods of time and to stock shelves.
- Must have the ability to move books and other merchandise on a regular basis.
- Ability to work under broad supervision using independent judgment
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity – demonstrating adaptability, engagement and enthusiasm.
- A good sense of humor.
Special Job or Training Demands:
- Ability to work a varied schedule including evenings and weekends required.
- Must be neat and clean in appearance and must wear appropriate business attire.
- Familiarity with the philosophy in the Edgar Cayce readings and a belief in the work of A.R.E. and its purpose is desired.
- Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items (up to 50 lbs. unassisted),
bending, standing, climbing or walking.
- Requires standing the majority of the workday
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is