Bookstore Sales Associate (ON-CALL)
Posting Date: 7/19/2013
Closing Date: 8/14/2013
Job Title: Bookstore Sales Associate
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Status & Hours: On-Call
Department: Bookstore (#610)
Position Reports To: Bookstore Manager
Position requires a highly motivated, energetic and enthusiastic person, dedicated to the ideals and goals of the A.R.E. and the A.R.E. Bookstore. Provide excellent customer service in the sale of books, tapes and other merchandise through point of sale cashiering, special orders and mail orders. Serve the public by greeting visitors and answering telephone inquiries in a cheerful and positive manner and provide information on Bookstore merchandise, as well as memberships, programs and other services offered by A.R.E. Evening and weekend availability required.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Provide excellent customer service to visitors, customers, and conferees.
- Assist customers by answering questions and recommending titles that may be of interest.
- Be familiar with subjects, titles (especially Edgar Cayce related), and products offered in the Bookstore.
- Responsible for the accurate handling of cash and credit card transactions.
- May open and close bookstore, balance cash drawers, and print daily reports.
- Shelve books and keep stock neat and in proper sections.
- Keep store sales floor, sales counters, and back room clean and orderly.
- May receive and process mail orders and special orders by telephone and in person.
- Prepare customer purchases for shipping when requested.
- Keep up-to-date and knowledgeable on all A.R.E. programs, services and activities.
- Exercise judgment in dealing with calls that may involve distressed or concerned people.
- Periodically spot-check inventory to ensure accuracy of computer database.
- Other related duties, activities, and responsibilities as needed
Required Education and Experience:
- High school education or equivalent
- Twelve months of retail or related experience required.
- Computer-related experience or training preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must demonstrate the ability to exercise good, independent judgment in accord with the ideals, mission, and vision governing the work of A.R.E.
Ability to work under broad supervision.
Independent judgment assessment skills are required...
Must be able to work calmly amid multiple interruptions and distractions.
Ability to treat all persons encountered as valuable customers/community members and work effectively with a large number of people from all walks of life
Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently; be knowledgeable, helpful, and congenial with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, and other professionals
Ability to be flexible, have an even temperament, and truly enjoy being of service
Work requires some analytical ability, a high degree of accuracy and close attention to detail.
Must be tactful and diplomatic in dealing with public and co-workers
Ability to identify potential problems and resolve situations tactfully and promptly
Team spirit and a positive attitude are required.
Familiarity with the philosophy and information in the Edgar Cayce readings and a belief in the work of the A.R.E. and its purpose is desired.
High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity -- demonstrating adaptability, engagement, and enthusiasm.
Ability to work a schedule that includes nights and weekends.
- A good sense of humor.
Scope and Impact of the position:
- Position regularly deals with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, other professionals, and all levels within the organization.
- Front-line position that directly impacts the bookstore and the organization from a professional level, public relations image and revenue accountability
Special Job or Training Demands:
Evening and weekend availability required.
- Must be neat and clean in appearance and must wear appropriate attire.
- Familiarity with the philosophy in the Edgar Cayce readings and a belief in the work of A.R.E. and its purpose is desired.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking.
- Requires standing the majority of the workday
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.