Parking Lot Attendant
Posting Date: 05/15/15
Closing Date: 05/29/15
Job Title: Parking Lot Attendant
Job Classification: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt
Status/Hours: Temporary Full-Time, 30-40 hours/week
Department: Building & Grounds (#891)
Job Reports To/Evaluated by: Educational Services Manager (990)
Position Reports To/Evaluated By: Facilities/Support Systems Manager
Often the first point of contact for drivers and visitors, the Parking Attendant will need to project a positive image to all visitors, guests and community members to the 67th Street campus by providing information, assistance, and directions. Control access to and patrol parking lots to monitor cars/contents and enforce parking regulations to ensure availability of parking spaces in designated areas.
Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Project a positive image to all visitors, guests and community members to the 67th Street campus by providing information, assistance, and directions.
- Monitor traffic and parking conditions within the parking lot areas for availability of parking spaces
- Control access to the assigned parking lot area and enforce parking regulations to ensure availability of parking spaces in designated areas.
- Position or remove barricades to prevent parking in unauthorized areas and/or traffic cones to create efficient entry and exit points.
- Monitor parking lots of suspicious activity and alert security, and/or 911 if necessary.
- Explain and enforce defined safety regulations including no blocking of roadways and fire lanes.
- Complete “Incident Report” to document any unusual activities or incidents and report to supervisor.
- Maintain clean parking areas by picking up any trash and debris
- Direct traffic in and out of the parking lots, using appropriate hand signals and/or flashlights to direct guests into open spots.
- Fill parking spaces by providing driving directions to available parking spaces; follow lot-fill pattern and sequence, preventing customers from parking where not directed.
- Follow guidelines for emergency procedures; ensure proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed; notify supervisor Maintenance Superintendent and supervisor of any problems.
- Assist with inclement weather preparations: physical placement/removal sand bags, securing outdoor fixtures, flood prevention, etc.
- Escort guests to their vehicles if needed.
- Provide heavy lifting assistance with weekend conference event set-ups (i.e. chairs, tables, podiums)
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalency certificate required.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in the parking industry
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Prefer knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active patience and a service orientation.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills required and a willingness to be helpful.
- Strong verbal communication skills required to exchange information with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to identify potential problems and resolve situations tactfully and diplomatically; demonstrated sensitivity to and respect for a diverse population essential.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to meet attendance work schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to handle difficult situations and persons in a positive and professional manner; able to discern when outside intervention with a 911 call is necessary.
- Ability to work outdoors and withstand hot/humid weather temperatures and conditions during the summer months.
- Must be available for "on call" during off-duty hours for inclement weather preparations or unusual demands during critical storm periods, e.g., hurricanes.
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity – demonstrating adaptability, engagement and enthusiasm.
- A good sense of humor.
Special Job or Training Demands:
Individuals must have flexibility to work any shift assigned throughout the weekend and available to work Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend to be considered.
- Reliable transportation to get to and from work required.
- Must be neat and clean in appearance.
- Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to bending, grasping, lifting and/or carrying up to 50 lbs. as needed.
- Requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination
- Prolonged standing and walking is required on a daily basis.