Visitor Center Customer Service Associate On-Call
Posting Date: 6/08/2016
Closing Date: 6/22/2016
Job Title: Visitor Center Customer Service Associate ON-CALL
Department: Visitor Center (#540)
Position Reports To/Evaluated By: Customer Service Manager
Ensure all visitors have a positive and memorable experience by cordially greeting, orienting and assisting Visitor Center visitors and guests by providing excellent customer service.
Provide a positive and warm welcome to visitors and respond to requests for service or information. Answer all incoming calls for the organization in a prompt, courteous manner and provide assistance to the caller whenever possible. Assist with order entry, membership and conference registration responsibilities.
Evening and weekend availability required.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Cordially greet, orient and assist visitors while providing up-to-date handouts and literature.
- Answer/research questions about Edgar Cayce, the readings, and functions of the A.R.E.
- Research and guide visitors to information on the website
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of upcoming events and daily activities through Global Calendar schedule and monitoring Visitor Center email account for updates and notices.
- Provide necessary replacements, substitutions, notice of cancellations, etc. as required for daily activities
- Promote memberships, events and activities of the organization and its affiliates
- Perform data entry of memberships, catalog orders, conferences, prayer requests, inquiries, etc. into the customer database
- During conferences, assist in conference registration responsibilities and accommodate other reasonable requests as needed
- In response to visitor inquiries, provide updated information about the local area such as dining, hotels, shopping, local attractions, and recreational destinations, using internet search and apps, ie Mapquest.
- Lead tours and ESP lectures
- Respond to crisis situations, such as emotionally disturbed visitors or callers, and any emergencies as outlined in the procedures manual.
- In professional manner, answer telephone promptly; assist callers and facilitate transfers to the appropriate extensions or departments.
- Maintenance of first and second floor lobby areas as neat and orderly; replace and update literature as needed.
- Follow daily open and close procedures
- Cross-train to handle other responsibilities within the Customer Service department to provide back-up coverage during vacations and other critical shortage situations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma with business training experience or equivalent required.
- Minimum two years customer service/retail sales experience or equivalent required;
- Minimum two years experience with Microsoft Office, Outlook, internet search and apps required;
- Minimum two years data entry experience required, Aptify experience a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active patience and a service orientation is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of demographics surrounding the Oceanfront and the Virginia Beach community
- Ability to represent the A.R.E. (our purpose, work, administration, staff, volunteers, Board and membership) in the most positive light is essential
- Excellent problem solving, written and verbal communication skills to exchange information with a variety of individuals required
- Must have strong skills in tact, diplomacy and objectivity
- Intermediate knowledge of computer systems and applications
- Demonstrated high proficiency in the use of the internet through searches and applications as job-related in response to visitor inquiries and assistance.
- Intermediate level of computer proficiency skills required, including Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and respect in working with people from diverse backgrounds, displaying positive attitude toward helping others
- Professional, friendly telephone, greeting and public speaking skills required.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, accurate and able to handle multitasking with ease; able to courteously handle multiple visitors and phone calls simultaneously
- Polished interpersonal skills required; must be able to work as an integral part of a team.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills (internal and external customers).
- Tact, diplomacy and the willingness to be helpful are essential.
- Ability to follow job guidelines as provided in the Visitor Center Standard Operating Procedures and Customer Service Standard Operating Procedures Manuals.
- Ability to discern when outside intervention with a 911 call is necessary.
- Emotional intelligence and maturity – demonstrating adaptability, engagement and enthusiasm.
- A good sense of humor
Special Job or Training Demands:
- Ability to train and learn new software, currently Aptify
- Ability to work evenings and weekend shifts.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, occasionally lifting up to 20 lbs.
- Visual and auditory acuity and physical mobility are required.
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.
Equal employment opportunity for all is an essential philosophy at the A.R.E. and throughout the
organization, including Atlantic University, Edgar Cayce Foundation, Cayce/Reilly School of Massage, and
the A.R.E. Health Center and Spa. We will evaluate all applicants for employment without regard to sex, race,
religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, color, veteran status, non-disqualifying
disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.