Visitor Center Customer Service Associate I
Posting Date: 07/31/15
Closing Date: 08/14/15
Job Title: Visitor Center Customer Service Associate I
Job Classification: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Employee Classification: Non-Exempt
Status/Hours: Regular Part-Time, 20-29 hours/week
Department: Visitor Center (#540)
Position Reports To/Evaluated By: Visitor Center Supervisor
Ensure all visitors have a positive and memorable experience by cordially greeting, orienting and assisting Visitor Center visitors and guests by providing excellent customer service.
Provide a positive and warm welcome to visitors and respond to requests for service or information. Answer all incoming calls for the organization in a prompt, courteous manner and provide assistance to the caller whenever possible. Assist with order entry, membership and conference registration responsibilities.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Cordially greet, orient and assist visitors while providing up-to-date handouts and literature.
- Answer/research questions about Edgar Cayce, the readings, and functions of the A.R.E.
- Research and guide visitors to information on the website
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of upcoming events and daily activities through Global Calendar schedule and monitoring Visitor Center email account for updates and notices.
- Provide necessary replacements, substitutions, notice of cancellations, etc. as required for daily activities
- Promote memberships, events and activities of the organization and its affiliates
- Perform data entry of memberships, catalog orders, conferences, prayer requests, inquiries, etc. into the customer database
- During conferences, assist in conference registration responsibilities and accommodate other reasonable requests as needed
- In response to visitor inquiries, provide updated information about the local area such as dining, hotels, shopping, local attractions, and recreational destinations, using internet search and apps, ie Mapquest.
- Lead tours and ESP lectures
- Respond to crisis situations, such as emotionally disturbed visitors or callers, and any emergencies as outlined in the procedures manual.
- In professional manner, answer telephone promptly; assist callers and facilitate transfers to the appropriate extensions or departments.
- Maintenance of first and second floor lobby areas as neat and orderly; replace and update literature as needed.
- Follow daily open and close procedures
- Cross-train to handle other responsibilities within the Customer Service department to provide back-up coverage during vacations and other critical shortage situations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma with business training experience or equivalent required.
- Minimum two years customer service/retail sales experience or equivalent required;
- Minimum two years experience with Microsoft Office, Outlook, internet search and apps required;
- Minimum two years data entry experience required, Aptify experience a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active patience and a service orientation is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of demographics surrounding the Oceanfront and the Virginia Beach community
- Ability to represent the A.R.E. (our purpose, work, administration, staff, volunteers, Board and membership) in the most positive light is essential
- Excellent problem solving, written and verbal communication skills to exchange information with a variety of individuals required
- Must have strong skills in tact, diplomacy and objectivity
- Intermediate knowledge of computer systems and applications
- Demonstrated high proficiency in the use of the internet through searches and applications as job-related in response to visitor inquiries and assistance.
- Intermediate level of computer proficiency skills required, including Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and respect in working with people from diverse backgrounds, displaying positive attitude toward helping others
- Professional, friendly telephone, greeting and public speaking skills required.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, accurate and able to handle multitasking with ease; able to courteously handle multiple visitors and phone calls simultaneously
- Polished interpersonal skills required; must be able to work as an integral part of a team.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills (internal and external customers).
- Tact, diplomacy and the willingness to be helpful are essential.
- Ability to follow job guidelines as provided in the Visitor Center Standard Operating Procedures and Customer Service Standard Operating Procedures Manuals.
- Ability to discern when outside intervention with a 911 call is necessary.
- Emotional intelligence and maturity – demonstrating adaptability, engagement and enthusiasm.
- A good sense of humor
Special Job or Training Demands:
- Ability to train and learn new software, currently Aptify
- Ability to work evenings and weekend shifts.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, occasionally lifting up to 20 lbs.
- Visual and auditory acuity and physical mobility are required.
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.