IT Help Desk Technician (Tier I)
Posting date: 08/25/15
Closing date: 09/08/15
Job Title: IT Help Desk Technician (Tier I)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Status & Hours: Regular Full-Time, 40 hours/week
Department: Information Technologies (571)
Position Reports To/Evaluated By: Facilities/Support Systems Manager
The IT Help Desk Technician is responsible for responding to and providing day to day Tier I technical support and assistance to direct-end user ARE/AU/ECF employees. Position supports the day to day operations of IT environments including but not limited to system performance, configuration and disaster recovery, patch management, maintenance and monitoring.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- User Support: respond to and provide technical assistance for requests and questions submitted to IT Tier I help desk through tickets/phone.
- Respond to reports of IT service interruptions or outages in a prompt and effective manner in order that established escalation procedures are followed.
- Create internal and cloud service provider user accounts, and stage hardware as part of on-boarding process
Perform root-cause analysis of all reported incidents; manage problem recognition, research, isolation, and resolution, including Mobile device, BYOD support.
- Follow-up on outstanding requests and ensure timely resolution.
- Responsible for ordering, tracking and maintaining inventory of computer supplies and equipment, software and software licenses.
- Support day to day operations of IT environments including but not limited to system performance, configuration, disaster recovery, patch management, maintenance and monitoring.
- Maintain professional communication and ensure customer satisfaction; keep supervisor advised of major problems.
- Update and maintain system maintenance records, tracking downtime and environmental issues.
- Perform troubleshooting as required to address end-user and system wide issues.
- Maintenance of and contribution to content of technical information.
- Provide desktop hardware, peripheral and software support; perform repairs to PC's and network equipment ;
- Install, test and configure new workstations, peripheral equipment and software; manage desktop and software deployment standards.
- Perform timely workstation hardware and software upgrades as required.
- Assist with production jobs and mail lists.
- Perform other related duties, special projects and tasks as required and assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in an information technology related field required, bachelors preferred; and
- Minimum of three years direct experience in systems administration, computer and network operations;
- Prefer recent work experience within a network operations center/ managed services department/as a system administrator or network administrator support role; or
- Any combination of education and experience totaling a minimum of five (5) years.
Training and Certification:
- Certifications preferred but not required: MTA, MCSA Windows 2008 or 2012, CCNA, VCA-DCV
- Regular progress towards the aforementioned and following certifications would need to be made as part of the employee’s professional development plan: MCSE, CCNP, VCP
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Required knowledge of server administration, computer and network operations and internet protocols.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures and protocol required; federal copyright laws as they pertain to the use of computer software.
- Excellent mathematical, customer service and problem solving skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills– demonstrating cooperation, patience, diplomacy, persistence, kindness, and clarity – is required.
- Ability to work with employees to assess their needs and provide information or assistance to resolve their problems;
- Ability to easily translate technical matters to non-technical personnel;
- High degree of flexibility, capacity for self-management and able to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team required;
- Position requires strong ability to manage details, exercise good judgment, tactfulness and independent decision-making capabilities
- Must demonstrate the ability to exercise good, independent judgment in accord with the ideals, mission, and vision governing the work of A.R.E.
- Ability to treat all persons encountered as valuable customers/community members and work effectively with a large number of people from all walks of life
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently; be knowledgeable, helpful, and congenial with mentors, other professionals and coworkers.
- Required ability to set priorities among competing jobs, using values of importance to the organization, departmental needs, and urgency as some of the criteria.
- Ability to use professional judgment while consistently maintaining control of concurrent projects, competing priorities and critical deadlines.
- Strong project management and organizational skills required;
- Good working knowledge of A.R.E. resources and available services is desirable as is an affinity with the philosophy and principles of the Edgar Cayce readings.
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity – demonstrating adaptability, engagement, and enthusiasm.
- A good sense of humor.
- Ability to stand for long periods; to stoop and bend; to lift 20 pounds;
- Ability to manage competing demands and occasional high stress;
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.