From the perspective of the Edgar Cayce readings, each of us is our own best psychic. Whether the information comes from a hunch, an intuition, our dreams, or synchronicity, each of us possesses a wealth of internal guidance that can be drawn upon whenever we need it. In fact, the Cayce material suggests that our true natural state is psychic and that as we progress spiritually in our lives we will have more personal experiences with this psychic dimension of our beings.
Still, there are times in life when we may feel the need to receive external guidance. Just as it is appropriate for individuals to seek out help from a doctor, a counselor, a minister, or a trusted friend, there may be occasions when we feel the need for intuitive information.
Whenever A.R.E. features a professional psychic on one of our seminars, programs, or psychic fairs, it is because the individual has demonstrated some measurable ability. However, individuals on our programs are not being endorsed by the A.R.E. While we have worked with individuals who are sincere, ethical, and interested in being helpful to others, we have yet to find an individual who is 100% accurate – and that includes Edgar Cayce, whose calculated 85% accuracy rate is still considered the highest known in contemporary times. The physical, mental, and emotional condition at the time of the reading of the person getting guidance, as well as that of the psychic, may affect the accuracy of the information and/or the ability to communicate/understand this information clearly and coherently.
To get the most from a psychic reading, whether it is external (from a psychic, a numerologist, an astrologer, a “guide,” etc.) or internal (one’s own dreams, inner guidance, visions, intuition, etc.), it is extremely helpful to do a little preparation first.
- The purpose of the reading: Edgar Cayce’s own readings indicated that the purposes of those requesting a reading, as well as the purposes of the psychic in giving a reading and the purposes of those most directly concerned or surrounding both people, played crucial roles in the clarity and depth of the reading obtained.
- Examine your own ideal, values, and soul purpose: Again, the ideals (motivation) and purposes of those directly concerned and surrounding the psychic and the person requesting the reading have an important impact on the quality of the reading. If there is a confusion of purposes, of ideals or if the request for the reading is prompted by greed, curiosity, or desire for power, the quality, clarity, and wisdom of the reading may be considerably less.
- Formulate the questions you want answered: There are some examples below that may help you with the wording. You will want to ask the best questions to elicit the clearest answers.
- Seek guidance making decisions: Be clear in your own mind that you’re looking for help to make your own decisions rather than unconsciously trying to shift the responsibility to someone wiser and with a better view into the future. Getting others perspectives is most helpful when used for making your own informed decisions.
- Examine your own dreams (visit EdgarCayce.org/dreams for more about working with your dreams).
Following are some sample questions:
- Soul's Purpose: What is my mission for this lifetime? How can I best make use of my abilities in the context of my soul’s mission for this lifetime?
- Your own past lifetimes: Describe those past-life experiences that most directly influence me in my current life. Describe those past lives that relate to my present relationship with (insert name).
- Understanding interpersonal relationships: In order to attain real forgiveness and peace, please give me that information I can now use constructively about past-life experiences with (insert name and birth date). Please give that information which will help me understand the source of my problem (provide example) with (insert name and birth date) and what I can do to experience love and healing in our relationship.
- Transforming a particular attitude or emotion: I’ve always had trouble with (emotion for example: losing my temper); what is the source of this and what can I do about it? Lately I find myself plagued with irrational anxiety and insomnia. How can I understand the causes and what can I do about it?
- The future: My ideal is to be of service to God; with this in mind, can I expect that my present employer, (Company Name)to be the place where I can fulfill that ideal in my work life, or should I be looking for another employer?
How to evaluate psychic information, both internal and external:
- Does it have a “ring of truth” for me? Confirm-able facts? A feeling of rightness?
- Does it give me applicable things to try to do? If so, what are the results when I do them? Do benefits result for me and all other people involved?
- Does it call me to begin doing the best I know to be doing in my life?
- Does it empower me to take charge of my own life ― giving me a personal next step ― rather than becoming dependent on the psychic source?
- Does it leave me with a sense of hope about my life?
- Does it “speak my language”? Do I feel as if the psychic information addressed me personally, using words, images, metaphors, and examples to which I can relate?
- Let someone else look at the question and answer. What does a trusted friend have to say about the information?
- Does it answer unasked questions, which lie within me?
- Does it stretch me to new, unconsidered aspects of myself and of my life?
- Does it seem to get better with time? When I look back at it six months or a year later, has my evaluation of the reading become even higher?
Visit Edgar Cayce's A.R.E. for our next Psychic Fair.