To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Bookstore Receiving & Marketing Associate (OTS 21-014)
Status: Regular Part-Time
Hours: 20-29 hrs / week
Posting Date: 06/09/2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
Job Overview: Under general supervision, perform a variety of shipping/ receiving, pricing, coordinates stocking and other retail sales activities for the A.R.E. Bookstore; maintain the accuracy of inventory in assigned categories; process and distribute documentation with purchase orders; operate a computer and/or cash register; perform customer services such as selling, refunds, changes, and other customer assistance. Position requires a highly motivated, energetic and enthusiastic person, dedicated to the ideals and goals of the A.R.E. and the A.R.E. Bookstore. Provide assistance to bookstore management in planning, coordinating, implementing and logistical follow-through of Bookstore-sponsored classes and events.
Serve the public by greeting visitors and answering telephone inquiries in a cheerful and positive manner and provide information on Bookstore merchandise, as well as memberships, programs and other services offered by A.R.E. Evening and weekend availability required.
Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
Special note: Requires ability to comply with COVID-19 policy requirements, including ability to wear face mask and maintain social distancing.
Responsibilities (included but are not limited to):
- Unpack/examine/inspect incoming shipments; compare identifying information and counts, weights, or measures of items incoming against purchase orders; reject damaged items, record shortages, contact vendor to rectify damages, shortages.
- Log in/ reconcile invoices with purchase orders; return canceled/ damaged items to vendors; contact vendors to rectify damages, shortages; follow up on delinquent orders.
- Submit invoices to Bookstore Manger for final approval; document/ process returns and credits.
- Sort, price, shelve following department policies and procedures.
- Maintain assigned work station in clean and orderly fashion; comply with all required safety regulations.
- Support Bookstore management by creating purchase orders as needed.
- As coordinator of receiving, this position assists other receiving associates as needed, including cross-training when necessary.
- Assist management with Bookstore programs and events, to include topic development marketing needs and network maintenance of readers, therapist, vendors, and volunteers.
- Coordinate volunteer staffing of events.
- Provide support to Bookstore manager with booking speakers/ readers, securing signed contracts; notify Web & Marketing Department of new events listing / marketing needs.
- Coordinate timely design / printing of flyers, brochures, and event schedules through Production Department;
- Assist with arranging for volunteer needs, use of resources; provide assistance to ensure events meet the highest standards for the organization.
- Provide friendly and knowledgeable customer service in a retail setting to visitors, guests, conferees, members, students, faculty and staff, which includes greeting and acknowledging every guest, maintaining outstanding standards, solid product knowledge and all other components of customer service
- Knowledgeable of cash register point of sale system - inclusive of proper procedures related to opening and closing the store - issuing returns or refunds of merchandise as necessary.
- Maintain awareness of all product knowledge information, sales, promotions, upcoming conferences, and events.
- Assist with fulfillment of mail orders/ special. orders by phone and in person; in floor moves, merchandising, display maintenance and store housekeeping.
- Maintain shipping information knowledge
- Protect the assists of A.R.E. through the secure handling of keys and money as assist in annual physical inventories.
- Periodically spot-check inventory to ensure accuracy of computer database.
- Other related duties, activities, and responsibilities as needed
Required Education and Experience:
- High school education or equivalent required; and
- Minimum two years' experience in retail and/ or shipping/ receiving environment, preferably recent retail receiving, bookstore, setting preferred.
- Minimum two years' experience in general office responsibilities and procedures.
- Computer proficiency in (Windows XP, Firefox Mozilla and/or Microsoft Office, Point of Sale system) required, with some graphics design experience preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active patience and a service orientation desired.
- Intermediate level of computer proficiency skills required, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel specifically) and Point-of-Sale systems;
- Ability to process merchandise/information through computer system to include POS register system;
- Strong customer service skills (internal and external customers) required; must be knowledgeable, helpful, and congenial with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, and other professionals
- Strong communication skills – oral, written, listening – to exchange information with a variety of individuals is required;
- Strong skills in tactfulness, diplomacy and objectivity required with ability to maintain professional sales demeanor;
- Excellent problem solving skills required; ability to identify potential problems and resolve situations tactfully and promptly;
- Polished interpersonal skills required, demonstrating enthusiasm and respect in working with and/or helping people from diverse backgrounds;
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, accurate and able to handle multitasking with ease;
- able to courteously handle multiple visitors and phone calls simultaneously;
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently;
- Work requires some analytical ability, a high degree of accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Ability to represent the A.R.E. (our purpose, work, administration, staff, volunteers, Board and membership) in most positive light is essential, as position regularly interacts with first-time visitors and guests.
- Ability to work a schedule that includes nights/weekends and/or pre-arranged extended hours that may result in long days during special events;
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity -- demonstrating adaptability, engagement, and enthusiasm – is required.
- A good sense of humor.
Scope and Impact of the position:
- This position acts continuously as a representative of the A.R.E. as an organization; must project a positive image as reflected by the philosophy of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings.
- Effective performance of this position is critical; position has a major effect on revenues and significant financial contribution to the organization.
- Position regularly interacts with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, other professionals, and all levels within the organization.
- Front-line position that directly impacts the bookstore and the organization from a professional level, public relations image and revenue accountability
Special Job or Training Demands:
- Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check
- Must be neat and clean in appearance and must wear appropriate business attire
- Ability to work a varied scheduled including evenings and weekends required.
- Must have a valid Virginia drivers license; driving record to be submitted to A.R.E. insurance carrier as approved driver, company business.
- Evening and weekend availability required; ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
- Ability to perform physical activities, i.e. stock shelves, move books/merchandise (up to 50 lbs. unassisted); bending, standing, climbing and walking.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time for the majority of workday is required;
- Ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.
Equal employment opportunity for all is an essential philosophy at the A.R.E. and throughout the organization, including Atlantic University, Edgar Cayce Foundation, Cayce/Reilly School of Massage, and the A.R.E. Health Center and Spa. We will evaluate all applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, color, veteran status, non-disqualifying disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Human Resources accepts cover letters + resumes only for posted job openings. Due to the high volume of applications received, Human Resources is unable to personally acknowledge the receipt of each applicant’s submission. Applications are reviewed in a timely manner and applicants will be contacted when a potential match has been determined.