To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Bookstore Sales Associate - On-Call (OTS 19-017)
Job Title: Bookstore Sales Associate – On-Call
Posting Date: 07/09/2019
Closing Date: 07/23/2019
Job Overview: Position requires providing exceptional customer service to all customers and members—including first-time visitors and guests--through sales of books, healthcare products, information and gifts related to topics in the Cayce readings. Position requires a highly motivated, energetic and enthusiastic person, dedicated to the ideals and goals of the A.R.E. and the A.R.E. Bookstore.
Serve the public by greeting visitors and answering telephone inquiries in a cheerful and positive manner and provide information on Bookstore merchandise, as well as memberships, programs and other services offered by A.R.E. Evening and weekend availability required.
Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
Responsibilities (included but are not limited to):
- Provide excellent customer service to visitors, customers, and conferees.
- Assist customers by answering questions and recommending titles that may be of interest.
- Become knowledgeable familiar with subjects, titles (especially Edgar Cayce related), and products offered in the Bookstore.
- Responsible for the accurate handling of cash and credit card transactions.
- May open and close bookstore, balance cash drawers, and print daily reports.
- Shelve books and keep stock neat and in proper sections.
- Keep store sales floor, sales counters, and back room clean and orderly.
- May receive and process mail orders and special orders by telephone and in person.
- Prepare customer purchases for shipping when requested.
- Keep up-to-date and knowledgeable on all A.R.E. programs, services and activities.
- Exercise judgment in dealing with calls that may involve distressed or concerned people.
- Periodically spot-check inventory to ensure accuracy of computer database.
- Other related duties, activities, and responsibilities as needed
Required Education and Experience:
- High school education or equivalent required; and
- Minimum one year retail sales experience required; and
- Minimum one year experience working with personal computer systems (Windows XP, Firefox Mozilla and/or Microsoft Office, Point of Sale system) required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of philosophy and acceptance of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings, particularly kindness, active patience and a service orientation desired.
- Intermediate level of computer proficiency skills required, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel specifically) and Point-of-Sale systems;
- Ability to process merchandise/information through computer system to include POS register system;
- Strong customer service skills (internal and external customers) required; must be knowledgeable, helpful, and congenial with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, and other professionals
- Strong communication skills – oral, written, listening – to exchange information with a variety of individuals is required;
- Strong skills in tactfulness, diplomacy and objectivity required with ability to maintain professional sales demeanor;
- Excellent problem solving skills required; ability to identify potential problems and resolve situations tactfully and promptly;
- Polished interpersonal skills required, demonstrating enthusiasm and respect in working with and/or helping people from diverse backgrounds;
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, accurate and able to handle multitasking with ease;
- Ability to courteously handle multiple visitors and phone calls simultaneously;
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently;
- Work requires some analytical ability, a high degree of accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Ability to represent the A.R.E. (our purpose, work, administration, staff, volunteers, Board and membership) in most positive light is essential, as position regularly interacts with first-time visitors and guests.
- Ability to work a schedule that includes nights/weekends and/or pre-arranged extended hours that may result in long days during special events;
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity -- demonstrating adaptability, engagement, and enthusiasm – is required.
- A good sense of humor.
Scope and Impact of the position:
- Position regularly interacts with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, other professionals, and all levels within the organization.
- Front-line position that directly impacts the bookstore and the organization from a professional level, public relations image and revenue accountability
Special Job or Training Demands:
- Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check
- Must be neat and clean in appearance and must wear appropriate business attire
- Evening and weekend availability required; ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
- Ability to perform physical activities, i.e. stock shelves, move books/merchandise (up to 20 lbs. unassisted); bending, standing, climbing and walking.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time for the majority of workday is required;
- Ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.
Equal employment opportunity for all is an essential philosophy at the A.R.E. and throughout the organization, including Atlantic University, Edgar Cayce Foundation,
Cayce/Reilly School of Massage, and the A.R.E. Health Center and Spa. We will evaluate all applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, religion, marital status,
sexual orientation, age, national origin, color, veteran status, non-disqualifying disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.