To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Job Title: Bookstore Sales Associate (OTS 21-008)
Hours: 20-29 hrs / week
Job Title: Bookstore Sales Associate (OTS 21-008)
Posting Date: 04/05/2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
Job Overview: Position requires a highly motivated, energetic and enthusiastic person, dedicate3d to the ideals and goals of the A.R.E. and the A.R.E. Bookstore. Provide excellent customer service in the sale of books, tapes, and other merchandise through point of sale cashiering, special orders and mail orders. Serve the public by greeting visitors and answering telephone inquiries in a cheerful and positive manner and provide information on Bookstore merchandise, as well as memberships, programs and other services offered by A.R.E. Evening and weekend availability required.
Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
Special Note: Requires ability to comply with the COVID-19 policy requirements, including ability to wear face mask and maintain social distancing.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Provide excellent customer service to visitors, customers, and conferees.
- Assist customers by answering questions and recommending titles that may be of interest.
- Be familiar with subjects, titles (especially Edgar Cayce related), and products offered in the Bookstore.
- Responsible for the accurate handling of cash and credit card transactions.
- May open and close bookstore, balance cash drawers, and print daily reports.
- Shelve books and keep stock neat and in proper sections.
- Keep store sales floor, sales counters, and back room clean and orderly.
- May receive and process mail orders and special orders by telephone and in person.
- Prepare customer purchases for shipping when requested.
- Keep up-to-date and knowledgeable on all A.R.E. programs, services and activities.
- Exercise judgement in dealing with calls that may involve distressed or concerned people.
- Periodically spot-check inventory to ensure accuracy of computer database.
- Other related duties, activities, and responsibilities as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school graduation or G.E.D. equivalency required.
- Twelve months of retail or related experience required.
- Computer - related experience or training preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must demonstrate the ability to exercise good, independent judgement in accord with the ideals, mission, and vision governing the work of A.R.E.
- Ability to work under broad supervision.
- Independent judgement assessment skills are required...
- Must be able to work calmly amid multiple interruptions and distractions.
- Ability to treat all persons encountered as valuable customers'/ community members and work effectively with a large number of people from all walks of life.
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently, be knowledgeable, helpful, and congenial with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, and other professionals.
- Ability to be flexible, have an even temperament, and truly enjoy being of service
- Work requires some analytical ability, a high degree of accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Must be tactful and diplomatic in dealing with public and co-workers
- Ability to identify potential problems and resolve situations tactfully and promptly. Great Team spirit and a positive attitude are required.
- Familiarity with the philosophy and information in the Edgar Cayce readings and a belief in the work of the A.R.E. and it's purpose in desired.
- High degree of emotional intelligence and maturity - demonstrating adaptability, engagement, and enthusiasm.
- Ability to work a schedule that includes nights and weekends.
- A good sense of humor.
Special Job or Training Demands:
- Ability to work a varied schedule including evenings and weekends required.
- Job contingent upon satisfactory passing of background security check.
- This position acts continuously as a representative of the A.R.E. as an organization; must project a positive image as reflected by the philosophy of the key principles in the Edgar Cayce readings.
- Must be neat and clean in appearance and must wear appropriate business attire.
- Familiarity with the philosophy in the Edgar Cayce readings and a belief in the work of A.R.E. and its purpose is desired.
Scope and Impact of the position:
- Position regularly deals with visitors, coworkers, students, faculty, other professionals, and all levels within the organization.
- Front-line position that directly impacts the bookstore and the organization from a professional level, public relations image and revenue accountability.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items (up to 50 lbs. unassisted); bending, standing, climbing or walking is required.
- Requires standing for extended periods during the majority of the workday.
- The ability to move between buildings on uneven ground and to use staircases in historical buildings without elevators is required.
Equal employment opportunity for all is an essential philosophy at the A.R.E. and throughout the organization, including Atlantic University, Edgar Cayce Foundation, Cayce/Reilly School of Massage, and the A.R.E. Health Center and Spa. We will evaluate all applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, color, veteran status, non-disqualifying disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Human Resources accepts cover letters + resumes only for posted job openings. Due to the high volume of applications received, Human Resources is unable to personally acknowledge the receipt of each applicant’s submission. Applications are reviewed in a timely manner and applicants will be contacted when a potential match has been determined.