Skip to main content

Health Tips for Meditation

Remember that meditation and a healthy body can work together in a constructive cycle. The practice of meditation is an important element in your overall program for maintaining good health. Good health practices in your daily life will aid your meditation life. Below are areas to which you might want to pay particular attention:

Healthy Diet
Eat a good, balanced diet, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains. The Edgar Cayce readings recommended that:

  • Roughly 80 percent of the diet consist of non-starchy vegetables and fruits, with the remaining 20 percent provided by proteins, cereals, and starches.
  • Meat intake consist mainly of fish, fowl, and lamb, with red meat eaten only sparingly and pork rarely or never.
  • Avoiding overly processed foods, all fried foods, and foods containing white flour and/or sugar.

Rest and Recreation
Adequate rest and recreation are essential parts of a balanced lifestyle. Be sure to get adequate sleep in order to avoid fatigue during your meditation experience. Recreation helps to relax both your body and mind, which is important when you sit down to meditate.

Eliminate Toxins from Your Body
The elimination of toxins—the waste products left over after the body has digested and metabolized its food—is crucial to good health. You eliminate toxins through your skin, lungs, bowels, and kidneys. The following practices are all helpful:

  • Breathe deeply and fully, remembering to exhale completely. Breathing exercises before meditation help here, but you should also develop the habit of breathing deeply throughout the day.
  • Drink at least six to eight glasses of pure water daily, which will help remove toxins and wastes from your body.
  • Bowel eliminations should be kept regular through proper diet (including lots of fiber) and exercise, especially walking.

Exercise will help keep your body healthy and aid in stress reduction. Always check with your doctor before embarking on any new program of exercise. Moderate, consistent exercise is more helpful than sporadic, strenuous workouts. Gentle stretching and daily walks will go a long way toward keeping you fit and releasing tensions.
Finally, remember that you are a whole person, with all parts working together. Your attitudes and emotions are vital to good health. As you meditate daily, it will have an impact on your physical health. As you pay attention to basic health practices listed here, you’ll find your meditation life enhanced as well.